Maybe you decided that installing garage coatings was not worth the money. Perhaps you thought you’d never need them because you don’t work on your car. Whatever the reason, your garage now has greasy stains in a variety of colors and looks unsightly.
Don’t despair just yet. You can always claim a new avant-garde decorating style. Alternatively, try these tips from LS Concrete Coatings in Frisco, TX, to give your concrete floors a new lease on life.
Why Does Concrete Stain So Badly?
Garage coating in Frisco remains very popular today; however, concrete is also very porous. Even if you clean up a spill immediately, it usually leaves a mark. The longer the mess puddles on the surface, the deeper it sinks and the more difficult it becomes to remove.
If you’re in your garage and knock over a can of oil, you can act immediately. However, if your car springs an oil leak, you could end up with a stain. Fortunately, if you act quickly enough, you can still prevent permanent stains.
Degreasers make a useful option whether you have garage coatings or not. They make it simple to wipe away slippery grease from epoxy floor coatings. With unprotected concrete, they become indispensable.
Continue reading to learn how to use them for the best results on dried marks:
- To begin with, look for an eco-friendly product to keep your family safe. These often contain lemon or orange extracts, making them especially efficient.
- Soak up and dry any liquid on the floor, then sweep away any dust and debris. Dirt will interfere with the product’s action, so sweep well.
- Sprinkle the degreaser over the stain, allowing the powder to absorb as much liquid as possible. Leave the agent in place according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Sweep away the powder and let the area stand for a few days.
- Repeat if necessary.
Use Laundry Soap To Remove Stains
Powdered laundry soap makes a highly effective degreasing agent and stain remover. Use it to treat spills as quickly as possible for the best results:
- Dab up any remaining grease, so you don’t spread the mark.
- Mix the soap into a bucket of warm water so that you have a sudsy, foaming solution.
- Drip the warm water with the soap onto the area, and follow with more soap powder.
- Let the solution sit for a few minutes to loosen the grease.
- Scrub using a stiff brush to lift the stain.
- Rinse well, and if you can, use a high-pressure hose.
- Repeat if necessary.
Use an Industrial Strength Degreaser
This solution may be necessary if the stain has been in place for a while. These products are expensive, but they usually lift the stain to the surface, making it easier to remove. You apply them much as you would the eco-friendly versions, but take a few extra precautions:
- Wear safety goggles and rubber gloves, as these products may contain caustic chemicals.
- Open the garage door and windows to ventilate the space well, as these products usually produce toxic fumes.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully before you begin.
Homemade Cleaning Supplies
You don’t always need to buy expensive products to prevent stains. Let’s look at some inexpensive solutions using products you likely have in your pantry:
- Sawdust and paint thinner: Mix the two so that the sawdust is just damp, not soaked. Sprinkle over the stain. The sawdust absorbs the spill while the paint thinner acts as a cleaning agent. Please don’t use this on epoxy garage coatings, as it may damage them.
- Kitty litter: Kitty litter makes an excellent option for soaking up spills. Cover the area with a reasonably thick layer and let it sit for a couple of hours. It is more absorbent than concrete, so it sucks up the liquid. Sweep it away and clean the area again if necessary.
- WD-40: Is there anything we cannot use WD-40 for in the garage? We don’t recommend using it on residential garage floor coatings, but it works well with untreated floors.
- Mineral spirits: Apply mineral spirits to the stain and let it soak in for about ten minutes. Take a hard brush and scrub up the mark. You should then apply paper over the area to soak up the spirits. Finally, rinse the area using warm water and laundry soap to lift any further traces.
Always treat spills as an emergency. While there are no set “cure times” for stains, the sooner you treat them, the better. Always choose a measure that matches the nature of the stain, and be careful about how you apply the product.
Contact the Professionals for Garage Coatings in Frisco, TX
Most people hate to admit defeat, but you can only do so much when it comes to stained concrete. If the marks won’t lift, no matter what you do, it’s time to consider an alternate strategy.
However, before you go to the expense of refinishing the concrete, consider installing an epoxy coating. Not only does this create a durable finish that repels liquids, but it also conceals the underlying concrete.
Your floor will look new again, and thanks to the epoxy’s properties, continue to do so for years. As a bonus, cleaning becomes a breeze as spills wipe away with warm water.
Contact LS Concrete Coatings for Further Assistance
Contact LS Concrete Coatings today at (469) 604 6802 for assistance in rejuvenating your space with garage coatings in Frisco, TX. Our team will soon make those ugly stains disappear.